Subject: Re: Student pricing???
From: [email-masked]
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 16:15:18 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:

>  Again with the Student thing! NewTek offers a package to the schools
>  directly not to the students. They raised the price, the upgrade is
<CUT>
> The student
> can use LW at the school, if their school does not support LW then they
> don't need it for courses.

>>this I guess I do agree with, in principle, but when it takes 1-2 years for a 
>>new program to be incorporated into the degree at that school, I don't.

>>---->Anoying lecture deleted

>>First off I am not the one who is interested, I am asking for a couple of 
>>friends of mine at school.  I make money using lightwave so I would not be 
>>qualitfied for the Student version anyway.

>>Second, 3dsmax is 3000, but it is going to be offered to students for 
>>somewhere between 700 - 1500.
  To match that NewTek would have to be in the $300-$700 price range. That
 is asking a lot.

>>  Even at 1500 hundred that is a great break for 
>>students and great promotion of the future of the company.
 Well if MAX is better at $1500 (with the student restrictions) then
 they should pop for that!  If price is the determining factor then
 having a student version means nothing. Gee my school uses LW but I'm
 going to by MAX because I can get a $3000+ program for $700.00. Never
 mind the features, Lw can be used professionally to make money, student
 versions from AutoDesk have restrictions, etc.

>>Third, I did not want to get into some infantile pissing match over the whiny 
>>student issue, I just asked a question and would hope for an informative 
>>answer, not some snide remarks.
 Gee, I could have sworn I saw reference to the LAME policy NewTek was 
 already offering.
(Kiss and make up part)
I understand your point about who makes up the price difference, and I do 
agree that NT should be making a lot more money on this kick ass product of 
theirs, but it gets me a little PO'd when student breaks are percieved as an 
annoyance from which the profit losses have to be recouped on the full price 
users.  Maybe this time it will be OK to not give the direct student break, 
so as to make up some cash, but next version should.
 But WHY ? NewTek, regardless of all the things people have said about them
 have historically offered more bang for the buck for their products. I
 often feel that LW is worth more than I paid for it. Even now as NewTek
 fights to survive, they offer more for the buck(after factoring in the
 recent increase). Maybe Newtek would have to ask 3500.00 for Lw so they
 could afford to support a student discount! Don't you see that MAYBE the
 reason NewTek can offer this great program at a great price is they don't
 carry the excess baggage. I think this far outweighs a student discount.

>Kill the thread before it starts, I should have been more exact in my first 
>post.
 No matter I saw it asked again from sombody eles.
>>I still would like to get an answer though just to humor myself, preferably 
>>from the horse's mouth.
 They have a presence here(so to speak ) so hopefully ypu will get it.

 -bill